Sarah Mackey (CCAMLR Secretariat)
- Genetic identification of grenadiers taken as bycatch in the toothfish longline fishery at South Georgia was compared with results of morphological identifications made by scientific observers and fisheries biologists.
- There was generally good agreement between methods although issues exist in the ability to morphologically distinguish between M. carinatus and M. holotrachys.
- Four species of Macrourus were identified genetically in the Southern Ocean and confirmed the presence of a recently described new species M. species.
- M. holotrachys was indistinguishable genetically from the Northern hemisphere species, M. berglax.
- There is a clear latitudinal separation of Macrourus species in the Southern Ocean.
- Latitudinal gradients in Macrourus distribution at the South Sandwich Islands reflect the patterns observed in toothfish spp.